Pages

Wednesday 14 May 2014

Wearing what I make - Vogue 2544

I was reading some blogs this morning including this blog post by Jennifer Lauren about making the most of your handmade wardrobe.  It made me think about what I'd said in my last post about joining in Me Made May in 2015 and why I don't wear most of the things I've sewn in the past.

I made quite a lot of clothes during University and when I was living in the US, but then it slowed down in 2003 when I moved back to the UK - I'm definitely feeling the urge to get sewing clothes again at the moment (frustrated by the lack of sewing machine while it's still in being serviced) and this blog post made me really think about what I should be sewing and what I have been sewing in the past.

I had a quick trawl through my me made wardrobe and have taken a picture of (nearly) everything with the intention of going through each item, trying it on and figuring out why I don't wear it.

First up is this shirt:


It's Vogue pattern 2544 by designer Anne Klein.  I made view B in a size 10, which is described as:  Shirt, has collar and collar band.  French seams.  Fitted, short sleeves with mock bands.


I remember being pretty pleased with it when I made it, as I like the colour of the fabric and was pretty chuffed with the detail of the shirt and its finish with the French seams and button band.

Why don't I wear it?  Basically it's too small - I burst out of it in the front.  I think I'm going to have a go at the side seams and see if there's anything I can do to make it bigger, but as it's been made with French seams and I'm most likely to have cut off any seam allowance as part of making them I doubt there's much room for alterations.  Shame really.

1 comment:

Deb said...

After opening out the side seams inserting panels looks like a likely option as there's not much fabric hidden in the French seam as I suspected.