Thursday, 18 December 2014

Camouflage

I said I'd make Frances another dress - I was going to make one from a pink spotty fabric I have with a nod towards being a Flamenco style dress - so ruffles and more ruffles and twirly.  Before I started figuring out what I was actually going to do I made the new curtains for the kids' bedroom.  There was a bit left over of the fabric and Frances decided that she would like a dress made from that.

I used the Absolutely A-line dress from the book of the same name.

I think Frances was hoping that she would be completely camouflaged against her curtains and was quite disappointed when she looked at the photos and found that we could actually see her.  She's still pretty well camouflaged though!

I was just about to sew the side seams when Frances announced that she'd like a bow on the back.

So, voila, a bow on the back.  I used a tutorial I pinned from pattern revolution, which I think has worked out well.

Here's a close up of the bow.  I stitched into place at the top, centre of the actual bow as it is quite heavy and was lolling about a bit.

I added a contrast facing, for a bit of fun.

I think the birds are all being pretty well behaved - they went to kindergarten with her today, so lets hope they haven't been flying around the school and annoying everyone.

Tuesday, 9 December 2014

Lou Box Top pattern test

I answered a request for Pattern testers from Beth of Sew DIY - this is not something I've done before, but thought it could be fun.  The pattern is for a boxy top that can either be made from woven or knit fabrics and has a couple of neckline options and a few hem shape options.  It's very loose fitting and it's recommended that very drapey fabric is used to make it more flattering rather than looking too boxy.

I must admit here that I'm not a big fan of clothes that are described as boxy - I have a fairly boxy figure without much of a waist, so try not to add to the general boxiness by adding boxy clothes.  I thought if I could find a drapey enough fabric, as recommended, things might be OK.  Of course, there was nothing large enough in my stash - but I found a drapey scarf across at the Brocki.

More red sewing for me.

The pattern is written at a good level of detail (without being too patronising) and fit together fine.  Because of the fabric I chose I decided to do French seams throughout and rolled hems around the bottom hem and sleeves - this is the first time I used my rolled hem foot that came with my new machine, which was fun, but I think I need more practise.


The neckline is finished using self bias binding.


The pattern said to cut the back of the woven t-shirt as two pieces and sew them together leaving a small opening at the back with a button and loop.  While I was putting it together, because of the scoop neck option I realised this back opening wasn't necessary, so I sewed it up - bit of a shame really as it would have looked better without the seam up the back, never mind.

And finally, a picture of me wearing it (head chopped off as my hair was wet).

So, all in all, despite my reservations about the boxy name I think it looks quite flattering.  I'll be interested to see what the other pattern testers came up with.  (#LouBoxTop)

Thursday, 4 December 2014

curtains

Last week was all about curtains. 

We're slowly adding curtain poles and curtains to all of our windows - there's no real rush as they all have shutters over them, but it makes the place feel cosier, especially at this time of year when there's curtains up. 

The kid's had some old curtains from our dining room in Bristol at their window, but we decided it was time to have something more fun. 

I made these from fabric bought at ikea.  I learnt to make curtains when I had a temporary job in a made-to-measure curtain shop between degrees, and this has stood me in good stead ever since.  I used my blind hem stitch on my machine for both the bottoms and sides of the main curtain fabric, which worked well and sped things up a little, so I only sewed the linings in by hand. 

Frances now wants a dress from the fabric as there was a little left over - I'm thinking just a plain A-line dress as the fabric is quite stiff and the design quite large.  Hopefully I can get the birds to sit in the right place.